Local News coverage in Coastal Maine from 4 Office Locations
Careers at MaineStay Media
The Mount Desert Islander, an award-winning weekly publication based in beautiful Bar Harbor, Maine, is looking for an ambitious news reporter to join our team.
Candidates should have strong critical thinking skills and be comfortable navigating public records and complex issues.
The successful candidate will be curious and comfortable digging for truth and asking tough questions of authority figures. He or she will be expected to develop and maintain contacts and sources in the community, juggle multiple assignments and strive to get it right even on a tight deadline.
The top candidate would have at least two years’ experience as a journalist; however, we would also welcome recent journalism graduates who are ready to hit the ground running. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
The ideal candidate will:
- Turn around tight, clean copy on deadline.
- Be familiar with AP Style.
- Have strong news judgement.
- Be able to work well independently or as part of a team, and to juggle multiple simultaneous projects with varying lead times.
- Be proactive, self-directed and able to prioritize and multitask effectively.
- Be ready to report and write stories about everything local: Municipal meetings, schools, police and courts.
- Have a passion for community journalism.
The Mount Desert Islander offers a competitive salary and a flexible schedule plus a comprehensive benefits package for employees including health insurance, retirement, paid time off, dental, life insurance and other supplemental benefits.
Date Posted: March 18, 2022
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Job Status: Full-time
Interested persons should send a resume, letter of introduction and three news clips to:
Faith DeAmbrose, Managing Editor
The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander newspapers are seeking a detail-oriented and enthusiastic reporter/photographer to cover sports in Hancock County, Maine. This reporter will cover high school sports, as well as adult athletics and youth achievements. In addition to game, match and meet coverage, the sports reporter will identify feature story ideas and profiles of interest to our readership.
The right candidate will have:
- Excellent reporting and writing skills
- Experience with digital photography
- The ability to work independently and as part of a group
- Comfort with a digital-first environment
- The ability to multitask and meet deadline
- Reliable transportation
- Applicants must also be willing to work nights and weekends.
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Short/long term disability and life insurance
- 401k with company match
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume and three writing samples to Managing Editor Cyndi Wood, email@example.com.
Advertising Account Executive
The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander newspapers are seeking an experienced, motivated, result-driven account executive to for a hybrid sales position to service clients in downtown Ellsworth. The 20-hour per week position is comprised of 25% in-house sales and 75% outside sales.
The successful applicant will have strong people skills, excellent organizational skills to meet critical deadlines, and a commitment to meet and exceed customer expectations while contributing to the overall growth of the publications.
Essential job functions:
- Superior client care that meets and exceeds customer expectations
- Maintain an existing book of client accounts
- Nurturing existing customers
- Continually grow the book of client accounts
- Cold calling prospects in person, by phone, and email
- Possess or develop proficiency in our account management platform
- Coordination with clients and the composing team to provide assets and verbiage for ads by the submission deadline
- Review, proof, and approve ad copy for and with the client as appropriate
The ideal candidate will:
- Strive to grow revenue of his / her client base by >10% / year
- Be able to work well independently or as part of a team, and to juggle multiple simultaneous projects with varying lead times
- Be proactive, self-directed and able to prioritize and multitask effectively
- Be a problem-solver
- Be able to offer creative insights to help clients develop successful individual ads and advertising / marketing campaigns
- Contribute to in-house team brainstorming to establish new advertising promotions and opportunities for clients
- Have a passion for the print newspaper industry
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Motivation to drive revenue through advertising sales
- A strong commitment to client care
- Attention to detail
- Excellent time-management skills
Required Education: Associates degree or better or equivalent professional / sales experience.
Job Status: Part Time 20 hours
Interested persons should send a cover letter and resume to:
The Ellsworth American is seeking an entry-level Graphic Designer to join our award-winning staff. This is a full-time position designing and building ads for The Ellsworth American, Mount Desert Islander and other publications.
The ideal candidate will be a motivated team player who possesses skills in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, recognizing the necessity of adhering to deadlines, and has an eye for design. Being able to work effectively with fellow designers, editors and the sales staff is imperative.
The Ellsworth American is a weekly newspaper company. We offer a complete benefits package including health insurance, paid time off, profit sharing, 401(k) plan and paid holidays. Salary will be commensurate with background and abilities.
If you feel you have the qualifications to join the most talented creative design department in Downeast Maine, please send your resume to:
The Ellsworth American
Attn: Ashley Carter, Creative Service Manager
1 Printing House Square, Ellsworth, ME 04605
or e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ellsworth American has an opening for a press operator. The press operator will learn all aspects of running and maintaining our printing presses in Ellsworth.
Essential Job Functions:
Learn and maintain all areas of the Pressroom and Platemaking operations including:
- Prepping rolls of paper
- Setting rollers in the press
- Standard maintenance of press equipment
- All functions to work on the press, folders and press controls
The Ideal Candidate will possess:
- Mechanical aptitude and understanding
- Previous experience working with machinery
- Reliability and commitment to hands-on training, Willingness to learn
- Attention to detail
- Works safely and follows safety procedures
You must be 16 years or older to apply. Please download and fill out an application and return to 1 Printing House Square, Ellsworth.
Mailroom Clerk – Part-time position(s) available
Part-time, year round. No evenings or weekends. Operating high-speed inserting machinery, assembling and strapping newspapers and loading newspaper bundles into carts in our downtown Ellsworth production plant.
This position requires moderate lifting (30-40 lbs). Must be reliable. You must be 16 years or older to apply. Please download and fill out an application and return to 1 Printing House Square, Ellsworth.